How to feedback on our services

Headway Devon are committed to providing the best quality service possible. If you have any feedback, or if you would like to make a complaint, your feelings will be taken seriously.

If you would like to raise an issue with us then please do speak to a member of staff either face-to-face or over the phone, or write to us. We hope that we will be able to resolve many issues in this way, but if you would like to make a complaint the details of how to do so and information about how it will be dealt with can be found here: Feedback and Complaints Procedure

If you wish to make a complaint about Headway Devon to another body, you can also contact Devon County Council, Torbay Care Trust, Torbay Council, Healthwatch, the Care Quality Commission or the Charity Commission.